Thursday, 15 September 2011

First day

Well, it's about time I accepted that my year abroad is now actually happening, by posting my first blog!

It's my first day in Vienna and I've been up since 7am. First thing I had to do today was book myself into a hostel for a week until I'm able to move into the flat I'll be living in for nine months. Surprisingly, everything went smoothly and I'm as settled as I can be for the next week.

For the morning I explored Mariahilferstrasse, stopped by an internet cafe and finally got myself an austrian sim card and a..erm..lovely cheap Samsung handset...After that I went to the bank, had a very fluent conversation in german (yay!) with a woman there and was told I can't sort out an account until I have an address in Austria.

Later, after moving into my room at the hostel, I did the tourist thing. I saw Karlskirche, Stephansdom and Graben, which also included a levitating man and some street dancing (photos to come at a later date - I can't dig deep enough into my suitcase to find my camera lead). Lots of men dressed up as Mozart too. I was accosted by a spanish man, who was also selling naff concerts. Bit of a language barrier with my german and english and his spanish and..spanish. But in the end he (somehow..) asked me for a drink. I kindly rejected him telling him I was engaged. His response: "Is ok! I non jealous!" Um...ok. Gave me a laugh anyhow.


And now I'm here, it's half 7ish in the evening and I'm knackered (pathetic). Time for ritual skype sessions as I eat the austrian food I bought at the supermarket in excitement (because there were about 20 types of haribo :)).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun so far, dude! No year abroad is complete without doing the touristy stuff - make the most of it while you have the time!

    ReplyDelete