So I've been here for a week now and I think I can safely say I've fully mastered the U-Bahn. The transport here is amazing and so, so punctual. It's a bit of a shock to the system!
I've done so many fun things in the past week and I'm actually really glad I'm keeping this blog. It allows me to sit down and really recall what I've done. I wouldn't want to forget any of this in a few years time!
One thing I knew I really wanted to go to when I got here was the Haus der Musik. It's a music museum, covering the great composers from Austria, the Wiener Philharmoniker and also the science of sound. While I was there, I managed to watch some of the famous New Year's concert in a mini cinema and became insanely jealous that I'm not here for New Year (although apparently there's a 20 year waiting list to attend...ouch). I also got to create my own waltz by throwing dice and conduct the Wiener Philharmoniker (a bit like playing on a wii really...) which was an experience! I love the opening times of the museums here - especially the Haus der Musik, in which I stayed till about 9pm. I'm considering going back again. My dissertation is looming and I'm very interested in linking my two subjects (German and Music) together, possibly focusing on someone like Schubert as my passion lies with Lieder.
I'm having a lot of fun but being on a Year Abroad is tough to say the least. Especially to start with. I think when I decided to come two weeks early, I thought I would be so busy sorting everything out. But I've actually ended up having a lot of time to myself and am so excited about starting work and hopefully joining some choirs.
I reached a bit of a low point a few days ago and when you feel like that you just don't feel like going out to see the sights. Luckily, I met two lovely Australian (originally Vietnamese) girls in my dorm and they invited me to the opera with them. So I thought, sure - why not? And honestly - it's exactly what I needed. We went to see Don Giovanni at the Staatsoper and got standing tickets for 4 euros. Score! It was tiring and absolutely packed, but by the second half most people gave up, giving us lots of room to enjoy it.
My new friends, Giang and Nhien carried on to invite me sightseeing with them the next day, and we formed a close friendship in the 3 days or so that they were here. Having spent all that time with them has really dragged me out of the downer I was on and made me appreciate where I am!
On the first full day they were here, we went to Schoenbrunn Palace, the Danube and Prater (amazing amusement park in the centre of Vienna). Schoenbrunn was just gobsmackingly beautiful. It was a scorching day, strange to experience as an English person - especially in the middle of September! We didn't even go inside but walked around and appreciated the architecture as well as having fun in the mazes. There's a zoo there too, which we didn't go to for financial reasons, but I shall definitely be visiting in the future as I've heard very positive things about it.
For the rest of the day we ate pastries by the Danube and went on the Riesenrad (ferris wheel) at Prater.
The next day I finally sampled Sachertorte as we went to a typical Austrian café for Kaffee und Kuchen. I have to say, it was a little dry and not at all what I was expecting. Thankfully there are many other types of cake and I've already managed to sample about 5!!! (My favourite so far is Esterhazytorte - hazelnut cream with chocolate.)
The rest of my time with Giang and Nhien involved more cafés, more Kaffee und Kuchen, Hundertwasserhaus (a strange building designed by a rather eccentric architect) and lots of photos.
The german speaking is going well too. At the moment there's a german girl in my dorm at the hostel. Her english isn't very good which is really useful for me! I've found that speaking german spontaneously is the least stressful way to do it because you're completely put on the spot and don't have time to get nervous. It is very tiring though, and I had a lovely evening last night with fellow year abroad Durhamers Bridget and Kempe. What I love about this place is that it's perfectly acceptable to sit in a café at 8pm and order Kaffee und Kuchen, and continue to sit there till about 11(by which time the glares started to make us feel a little uncomfortable..).
All in all, having a great time! Getting very fat, seeing the sights and keeping myself busy!
I just copied and pasted this into Word (sad, I know) and found that I have written nearly 900 words. I shall shut up now. Bis bald!
I've done so many fun things in the past week and I'm actually really glad I'm keeping this blog. It allows me to sit down and really recall what I've done. I wouldn't want to forget any of this in a few years time!
One thing I knew I really wanted to go to when I got here was the Haus der Musik. It's a music museum, covering the great composers from Austria, the Wiener Philharmoniker and also the science of sound. While I was there, I managed to watch some of the famous New Year's concert in a mini cinema and became insanely jealous that I'm not here for New Year (although apparently there's a 20 year waiting list to attend...ouch). I also got to create my own waltz by throwing dice and conduct the Wiener Philharmoniker (a bit like playing on a wii really...) which was an experience! I love the opening times of the museums here - especially the Haus der Musik, in which I stayed till about 9pm. I'm considering going back again. My dissertation is looming and I'm very interested in linking my two subjects (German and Music) together, possibly focusing on someone like Schubert as my passion lies with Lieder.
I'm having a lot of fun but being on a Year Abroad is tough to say the least. Especially to start with. I think when I decided to come two weeks early, I thought I would be so busy sorting everything out. But I've actually ended up having a lot of time to myself and am so excited about starting work and hopefully joining some choirs.
My new friends, Giang and Nhien carried on to invite me sightseeing with them the next day, and we formed a close friendship in the 3 days or so that they were here. Having spent all that time with them has really dragged me out of the downer I was on and made me appreciate where I am!
On the first full day they were here, we went to Schoenbrunn Palace, the Danube and Prater (amazing amusement park in the centre of Vienna). Schoenbrunn was just gobsmackingly beautiful. It was a scorching day, strange to experience as an English person - especially in the middle of September! We didn't even go inside but walked around and appreciated the architecture as well as having fun in the mazes. There's a zoo there too, which we didn't go to for financial reasons, but I shall definitely be visiting in the future as I've heard very positive things about it.
For the rest of the day we ate pastries by the Danube and went on the Riesenrad (ferris wheel) at Prater.
The next day I finally sampled Sachertorte as we went to a typical Austrian café for Kaffee und Kuchen. I have to say, it was a little dry and not at all what I was expecting. Thankfully there are many other types of cake and I've already managed to sample about 5!!! (My favourite so far is Esterhazytorte - hazelnut cream with chocolate.)
The rest of my time with Giang and Nhien involved more cafés, more Kaffee und Kuchen, Hundertwasserhaus (a strange building designed by a rather eccentric architect) and lots of photos.
The german speaking is going well too. At the moment there's a german girl in my dorm at the hostel. Her english isn't very good which is really useful for me! I've found that speaking german spontaneously is the least stressful way to do it because you're completely put on the spot and don't have time to get nervous. It is very tiring though, and I had a lovely evening last night with fellow year abroad Durhamers Bridget and Kempe. What I love about this place is that it's perfectly acceptable to sit in a café at 8pm and order Kaffee und Kuchen, and continue to sit there till about 11(by which time the glares started to make us feel a little uncomfortable..).
All in all, having a great time! Getting very fat, seeing the sights and keeping myself busy!
I just copied and pasted this into Word (sad, I know) and found that I have written nearly 900 words. I shall shut up now. Bis bald!
No comments:
Post a Comment