I had my long awaited visit from Shaun last week and it was just amazing! Long distance is hard, but it also makes your relationship so much healthier if you can handle it. He flew into Bratislava and luckily met someone who offered him a lift to Vienna instead of having to get the coach. Then we met in the centre of Vienna, grinning like idiots. After that we went to dinner at Vapiano's - an amazing Italian chain restaurant.
Shaun being here was a great excuse for me to do more sightseeing. I took him to the sights I knew - Schoenbrunn, the zoo, Stephansdom, Karlskirche, the Staatsoper etc. We also went to the Hofburg and Parliament which I hadn't seen yet. And of course, I took Shaun to try Wienerschnitzel, Sturm, various Bakeries and all the Austrian clichés.
Introducing him to the lovely Tara, Phil and Hal was also fun -we watched Braveheart and Gladiator all in one week which was a bit intense for me (we have now proceeded to watch Bruce Almighty for light relief). Highlights of the Braveheart night: Hal's comic "Oh Harro" just at the right point in the movie (deer looks at camera) and Phil's lovely pasta and general hospitality. The next time, Shaun and I (well, he just chopped the onions because I literally sob and have to sit outside to recover) made chilli with jacket potatoes (Phil did the potatoes as I recall) and all in all everyone was a happy bunny. Food is always a good way to bond. Highlight of the evening again involves Hal - Everyone else: "Hal?" *Hal sleepily turns around with eyes closed...slowly opens them* "What's that now?"
I'd be lying if I didn't say I was down when he left - I was. It brought on my first spell of homesickness in 2 months! It was a bit of a shock because I've been insanely happy for the last 2 months and wasn't expecting to feel homesick at any time during the year - but I know it's completely normal and it's kind of passed now :) I have also been missing Tara and Phil, it's so weird that they don't live in my living room anymore! I'm looking forward to starting choir on the 22nd (I wasn't allowed to join straight away, as they were in the middle of a project), as well as starting singing lessons - I've been sending lots of emails to try and track down a suitable teacher, it's actually much more difficult than I imagined. Singing always makes me feel at home, so once I'm stuck into rehearsals and lessons I'm sure I'll feel so much better.
After 2 months of living here on my student loan...all the teaching assistants finally got paid yesterday!!! It's a good feeling. It's really difficult coming to terms with the fact that my new austrian card doesn't actually charge me to use the ATM, I keep withdrawing stupidly large amounts of money out of habit. I went clothes shopping today for warm clothes which was good but I spent rather a lot...I think I'd like to sign up to an intensive german language course at some point, now that I have the money. Probably straight after Christmas as now I don't have a full month free until then.
As soon as Shaun left - Sod's Law, it got sooooo cold!! It's a good thing he worked out my heating...we're in the minuses now and it's pretty biting. I bought myself some ear muffs and legwarmers today, as well as lots of woolly jumpers. I'm looking forward to the snow, but unlike England, they actually know how to deal with snow here, so I don't know if I'll see much of it here in the city.
In other news, I'm flying to England tomorrow and I can't bloody wait :D I have my second Genesis Sixteen course in Manchester from the 18th - 20th. I can't wait to catch up with everyone and do some serious singing!! I'm also really looking forward to seeing my brother and his partner, who I will be staying with before and after the course.
The anticipation of going back to England even for just 3 days has really made me realise just how many things I miss about it. I really miss queuing :( I know that sounds ridiculous. But lately I have noticed how rude and pushy I have become, striding across the UBahn platform and ignoring anyone who tries to cross my path! It's contagious! I've also started adopting the very heavy, loud Austrian sigh and exasperated roll of the eyes that occurs when anyone bumps into me. I'm looking forward to polite people who know the phrase "Excuse me", although I'm starting to think I might forget to say it...
But the main thing I need...is a pub meal!!! I'm not so fond of the food here, and the sausages just aren't the same. As well as Cadbury's chocolate and baked beans (you can get them both here but they're a bit expensive). As well as good mature cheddar. *Sob*
I'm hoping if I get my England fix, I'll return to Vienna refreshed and ready for it once more :)
I'll update again when I'm back from Genesis Sixteen!
Bis dann!
No comments:
Post a Comment